Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I'm growing up so fast...

They say that new experiences abroad help you to cope with new situations, and give you new perspectives. Already today, I handled the unforeseen issues really well.

I decided not to stay at the Corinthia Towers in Prague. My dad was willing to cover me for the event, but when I found a quaint little hostel a pretty 1 km from the hotel that had private rooms for $24 US/night, that seemed a much better strategy. Knowing how my colds work, I should be recovering by Friday, and good enough to stay at the MadHouse Monday-Wednesday. Granted, that won't be the same as the weekend, but playing Scrabble all day, partying all night, and being sick? That could end horribly, and I've accepted that plans change. Though that said, I think I have a fever right now, and my colds don't usually involve fever. *shrug* - I'll pay close attention to it in the coming days. It would be nice not to be sick during the Scrabble tournament - you know, with getting really sick during this year's Nationals after seizing a two game lead halfway through the tournament, but again, I'll do what I can.

It's almost 11 PM, and I woke up at 4:45 AM, so my hope is that I will adjust a fair amount tonight. That is, if I can make this fever go down. Oh ibuprofen, you and your many uses. We'll see.

Anyway, this evening I was able to book all of my remaining bus/train rides (at good prices!), change the hostel for part 1 of Prague, and update my budget completely, so despite feeling like I am burning up, I am really happy with myself for handling this situation maturely, effectively, and intelligently.

But I did get out today and do some fun stuff!

I had a street-stand debreziner in a tasty roll, and then Matt and I headed to the north outskirts of town. There we hiked up into the Viennese vineyards, saw panoramic views of Vienna, and sat and talked for awhile, basking in the view, and enjoying the 50ºF weather! Seriously, I could've worn shorts today, but it's gonna be the warm-highlight of the trip...things are about to get colder.

On the descent from the vineyards, I took one hill a bit too quickly, got my foot stuck under a small root, and went flying. Jeans got a bit muddy, but I fortunately missed all the rocks.

The tram ride home was a fascinating glimpse into the relationship among and betwee between Austrian school children and immigrant Turkish school children - right after Matt had told me about the growing diversity and influx of immigrants into Austria.

We stopped at a supermarket on the way home, and Matt inquired as to whether I might make some guacamole (we'd been talking about health foods, fruits, veggies, etc.) Apparently Austria's avocados are from Israel, and they oxidize right before your eyes - though once you add the lime juice, the process is delayed greatly. It turned out well, and the flatmates really enjoyed it! One of them, Felix, made a zucchini soup, which was much welcomed for my sore throat. Delicious. Also had .65-Euro supermarket pizzas that were actually pretty darn good. Matt dips his cheese pizza in ketchup! I was blown away! Interestingly, Heinz ketchup is much more expensive in Vienna.

We were going to have punsche at a Christmas Market tonight, but it seemed like it would work out better for everyone tomorrow, so instead I got the productive stuff done.

OK yeah I'm not feeling so well, and I've been staring at this CPU WAY too long. ibuprofen time!

Also: just got a CS invitation in Zurich from a rather pretty girl who is brand new to CS and has no friend or references. I'm gonna assume she is legit! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment