Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Oh look I failed at travelblogging

So when I last left off, I had one day left in Vienna.

Matt and his girlfriend wanted to see the Freud museum, so we decided to have lunch at a pay-as-you-go student-loved Pakistani place (4 stars on yelp). It was fantastic. The Freud museum was very cool, though I wish they had talked more about the cocaine part of Freud's existence.

After, I split off to go visit a cafe. I ended up at the touristy Cafe Central, and had sachertorte + hot chocolate. Very rich, but tasty, and a fun experience.

I then got completely lost trying to find the Rathaus. Eventually, I got back within the range of the first district's free wifi, and found it eventually. It was absolutely gorgeous, and the Christmas market was pretty cool, albeit dominated by tourists. I took some pictures, and then headed back to the flat.

Matt and I went to a student run Christmas-drink party, where we met up with one of his friends, as well as some couchsurfers he knew from Portland! I had gluhwein (yum!) and punsch (fairly yum, as well!) It was very cold, though, and they ran out of alcohol, so we headed to a local bar, and shot the shit for awhile. Eventually, it was time for bed, though, as I had my bus ride the next morning.

Fast forward to the next morning. Finding the bus was really easy! I talked with a guy from Winnepeg, and then sat down in my seat. The seats were clean, the bus was pretty new, the personal TVs worked great (I watched Fast Five), they gave free hot chocolate, and the bathroom was easily accessible. A brief stop in Brno, and we did it all again (minus the movie part - was feeling more like music).

Arrived in Prague, and got a little bit confused with the tram system, and eventually just took the metro to Vysehrad, near the tournament hotel, and walked to my hostel. I was very happy that I had my own room to chill in. The owner was so kind - she was older, and said 'please' after every sentence. Unfortunately, the grocery store was not where she said it would be, so I was forced to wander around until I found a corner store. Apparently the corner stores in Prague are run by Vietnamese immigrants, so they don't speak Czech OR English...

I bought what I thought was herbed cream cheese, but it turned out to be horseradish flavored. That + some salami and bread was dinner. I wasn't really all that hungry, anyway. I went to bed late, studying words and watching Breaking Bad.

I'm going to skip the next two days (Saturday/Sunday), as I really have nothing to say about the Scrabble tournament. This is a travel blog, not a Scrabble blog. I will pick up from my walk to the new hostel (Monday evening) in my next post. In real time, I am leaving Prague tomorrow, and should be able to catch up on the train ride to Berlin, tomorrow.

I am exhausted, and sick of the cigarette smoke. The cigarette smoke in Prague is overwhelming. My voice gets hoarse everyday.

1 comment: