Saturday, December 15, 2012

Prague, Part 2: A Mad, Mad House


OK so I am home from Europe, and I have written almost the entire blog. But I decided I wanted to wait for pictures, and wasn't going to have them on my computer until I got home, hence little posting in quite awhile. I'll try to do one a day from here on out...

So after three days of the familiar Scrabble tournament environment, I walked the three km to my new hostel, the MadHouse Prague. And let me tell you, this hostel is probably one of the coolest hostels in the world. It caters to solo travelers, and the “employees” (mostly travelers who never left – including the owners themselves) take everyone out for some kind of nightlife…every night. Plus: cheap beer, a kitchen, a cool hangout lounge, and a really central location, and more. Quite frankly, by the time Thursday came around, I really didn’t want to leave. I wish every city had a place like this one.
I quickly met two travelers my age from Orinda (plenty of mutual acquaintance), as well as a large number of Aussies. Them Aussies are everywhere! That evening, I won five of six games of beer pong (what up), and then we went to a student bar nearby. It was fun, but the cigarette smoke in Prague is pretty crippling for me.

Trolling:



The next day, Tuesday, I finally willed myself out of bed around 11 AM. The shower on our floor was busted, so I had to trek downstairs to clean off – anyone who knows me knows I am useless without a morning shower. Once I was finally bundled up, I made my way to Choco CafĂ©, as recommended by Sandy. I had a hot chocolate with a chocolate from the Dominican Republic. But this was unique hot chocolate – it was literally pure chocolate. Overload, but amazing.

 I walked to the Old Town Square, and moseyed through the Christmas Market. Some Czech dude was doing a great rendition of “What a Wonderful World”. I found the meeting point for the free tour, and noticed a couple of my hostelmates were headed towards a different tour. We’d discussed meeting up for this one, so I nudged them in my general direction. It was snowing, but the tour was very informative, and I got to walk all over New Town/Old Town/Jewish Quarter. It’s ironic that the Jewish Quarter is now the swanky, most expensive part of Prague. A couple of pictures of Prague:


Clock Tower:

 "Old New" Synagogue:



After the tour, my hostelmate-now-friend Nic and I wandered into a Czech restaurant. We had some tasty goulash! Then back to the hostel for more beer pong.



Nightlife on this night included drinks at a trendy bar, where I learned some good stories about the MasterChef Australia judges from an Aussie at the hostel who is in the Melbourne hospitality industry. I love hanging out with Aussies because then I can nerd out about MC:AUS.

After drinks, we headed to a rock and roll club, which played lots of newer rock (right up my alley). Nic almost gave himself a concussion when he tried to dance on a table and hit a motorcycle tire, so we retreated back to the corner and talked/drank with some other solo travelers (an organic farm worker from Kansas, and a Kiwi-Perthian. When we were finally too tired to drink anymore, we went for late night burritos (yes, late night burritos in Prague), and then called it a night around 4 AM.

I leave you with this picture:


0 comments:

Post a Comment