Sunday, November 20, 2011

Be the Champion of Crossword Game (I'm finally updating!)

OK, so it turned out that blogging is kinda hard to do. So let's try to get caught up here.

After the wonderful day that was Wednesday, we got a very slow start on Thursday. Somehow, we managed to get our act together and scramble to the bus station in time to take a minibus to Hua Hin, a beach town a couple hours outside of Bangkok. Dielle and Dion got an extreme case of the giggles. We checked into the Fulay Guesthouse around 10 PM, and immediately passed out from exhaustion. It turned out to be my first really good night of sleep in Thailand.

The next morning, Friday, we actually got to see the lay of the land. Our guest house was on a pier over the water, and was just so beautiful. They tried to charge us more for the room because there was a mixup, but Dion's epic arguing skills worked the price down a lot. And then it was time for THE BEACH.

We had lunch literally 5 feet from the water, which included a spicy green curry for me, and the most delicious watermelon/pineapple smoothie. Afterwards, we hit the water. It was clear and warm. Just awesome.

After spending a few hours at the beach, we hopped a bus back to Bangkok. By the time we got back, it was pretty much time for bed since the Princess Cup began the next morning.

Yesterday morning, we woke up bright and early to go play some Scrabble (called Crossword Game in Thailand). It took us awhile to find the right part of the Bangna Central Plaza Mall where the tournament was being held, but once we got there, it was very obvious. Hundreds of kids milling about, anxious for their Scrabble, kumkom (Thai Scrabble), A-Math (think scrabble but with number equations), and Sudoku games to start. A big gigantic stage. A huge Scrabble board 10 feet tall that was actually a Scrabble Transforer (like the movie).

Eventually we started playing. By the time the opening ceremonies began, I was 2-0! The opening ceremony was pretty amazing. The princess of Thailand was actually in attendance, and all of the participating countries were introduced (I was the sole American in attendance). I can't really describe how awesome the opening ceremonies were, but I believe Dielle has videos of it, so maybe those will be available at some point.

I was very excited to finish the day in second place with 7 wins and 1 loss (to Nigel Richards, the Michael Jordan of Scrabble). I even beat two of the top three Thai players - Komol and Panupol (a former World Champion). Keep in mind that this tournament uses the Collins lexicon, which is far larger than the OWL2, which is used in club/tournament play in the US and Canada. I know very little Collins, and this lack of word knowledge is definitely a handicap for playing Scrabble with this word source.

In round 7, I was invited to actually play on the gigantic Scrabble board, complete with live commentators and gigantic versions of the Scrabble setup. If you have to put letters near the top of the board, you had to climb on a ladder! Keep in mind this is in the middle of a functioning mall. A very busy one.

Saturday night the entire guesthouse went out for beer (and more beer) ((and more beer)). We almost went to a club, but decided sleep was probably a good idea. I was in contention, after all. Oh right, and we had KFC for dinner.

Sunday morning, I lost my first two games. Then things started to pick up. I even got to play another game on the gigantic board (won again) and found myself in good shape for second place. And then I find out that the top 2 players at the end of regulation play a best of two finals with the slate wiped clean. So although Nigel had "clinched" first place, he had really only clinched a spot in the finals. So when I beat Komol again, the only other player in contention lost, and all of a sudden I had snagged a spot in the finals against Nigel! Really? Me? I know I'm a good Scrabble player, but this is a new dictionary to me!

Nigel started out quickly in the first game, but I got a HUGE break by getting to play GY(R)ATION for 167 points on two triple word scores (a "nine timer"). This turned into a huge rout in my favor, and all I had to do was not lose the second game by more than 191. It was a slow game, and I ended up losing by only 9 (sacrificing the win in order to ensure I wouldn't lose a rout).

But holy crap, I WON! I got a trophy, and $950! I wasn't even expecting to be in contention, let alone beating the best Scrabble player in the history of the universe in his dictionary, and not mine. Granted, I know I got really lucky, but hey, it was about as good as surprises get. This tournament may actually be my best Scrabble memory...ever.

Tonight Dielle and Dion have finally convinced me to get a massage, and then we will eat dinner. MOAR PAD THAI. MOAR BECAUSE MOAR. Also, pad thai is so delicious. After dinner, I think we're going to hit the town since it is our last night in Bangkok.

Rumor has it we're going to Chiangmai tomorrow. More on that later. I'll try to blog soon, but this is going to be hard. I'm just having so much fun - this has been one of the best weeks ever. And I can't wait for the next few, too!

We have to get going now, so I can't put in pictures right now, but I will try to go back and add them in soon.

Really, Dion and Dielle are pestering me to get going, and clearly they are always ready exactly on time, I should be ashamed of taking a few extra minutes this time (typed as they hover over me, reading this already brief entry). See you guys soon! :)

Seriously. Most amazing weekend ever.

Note to Dielle and Dion and Dion and Dielle: BANGNA! This weekend was my bang-na, my bang-na (to the tune of my moment by rebecca black).

Really leaving now! Bai!

0 comments:

Post a Comment