Sunday, November 13, 2011

No turning back now!

So to my surprise, I managed to find a free internet connection at Suvarnabhumi Airport. I'm pretty sure I am mooching off of the limo company, so I won't be surprised if they see me and kick me off.

So I last left off after realizing my flight to BKK was boarding 20 minutes earlier than I thought. This flight had the best food (not saying too much), and I managed to have a whole row to myself. The only problem was, I was surrounded by a large group of maybe 20 or so people who were extremely noisy the entire flight. They would even inadvertently mess with my seat, and talk right in my face to their friends. It kinda sucked. I felt bad for the flight attendents who were trying to figure out who had the veggie meals, since all these people were switching seats.

I did get to see the floods, though. I moved over to the window seat, and looked out the window. It doesn't seem like much for awhile, but then you realize that it's actually water, and you're like..whoa crap. I tried to take some pictures from the plane, but I'm not sure if they really paint the full picture.



So I got off the plane and moseyed to customs. I got through, and found a seat. I don't check into the hostel until 2, so now that I have this free connection, I think I am going to just settle in here for a bit (or at least until I get kicked off). I figure it doesn't make any sense to show up before 2 PM. Dielle gets in at 8:25, and I expect to see here by about 9:30. Dion gets in tomorrow afternoon.

I've definitely got a case of the nerves, and I think I'm still trying to process the fact that I just flew 8000 miles away from everything I know for 5 weeks. So I'll relax here at the airport for a bit, and then head over to the hostel soon enough. Fortunately the one I convinced Dielle to stay at tonight (after all, I am the one who is actually IN Bangkok today), is a 5 minute walk from the terminus of the Airport Train.

One interesting observation is that the airport is almost empty. I guess people really are staying out of this area for now. Or maybe the airport is usually like this? Also, the laptop did not fry when I plugged it into a 220V outlet at the airport. The laptop charger said it was good for up to 240V, but I was still nervous!

Anyway, here we go. Part 1: Bangkok. Welcome to being out of my comfort zone.


Hurry up, Saldanha sisters :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment