Saturday, November 26, 2011

Life lessons: Traveling, Dancing, and...Harlotry

So for our last day in Chiang Mai, we had a full day booked. We met Mameow at 11 to rent motorbikes. I was totally intimidated not only to try motorbiking for the first time, but doing it in a foreign country where the rules of the road are...looser.

So we finally got the bikes (actually motor scooters, but they still went 80-90 km/h) and dropped our stuff out at the new hostel we'd be spending our last night at, and took off for the countryside. Our destination was the Tiger Kingdom, so that Dielle and Dion could take pictures with tigers.

I wasn't ready to start out biking in the city, so I waited until we were on the outskirts before I took over. When I did finally get on the bike, it was actually a breeze. Speeding down the highway was just such a releasing feeling, and I can't think of a time I've ever felt so free.

When I went on this trip, I definitely had some personal goals I wanted to achieve during the trip. For those of you who know me well, you'll know about my struggle with risk aversion throughout my life. So you can imagine how I felt when I had to be the passenger on a bike. Talk about givimg up control and putting complete trust in someone else. And you know what? That leap of faith was totally worth it. It felt pretty empowering to put myself in one of the exact situations in which I desired to be (that is, give up complete control). Risk aversion is definitely one of the most important things for me to improve in myself in my 20s, and this opportunity was really what I needed.

Not only did I get to work on myself, but I absolutely fell in love with the feeling of motorbiking. Given my predilection for loving driving, road trips, and the open highway, the main issues I had with motorcycles were the safety risks and the noise. Now I didn't get to experience the noise, but now that I have proof for myself that you can get on a motorbike and not die (and feel totally freaking awesome), I think I may give some thought to trying it in the US. Seriously, I may have just found a new love.

So personal gains aside, we got to the Tiger Kingdom. They had an AYCE Thai buffet. It cost 3$. I think its 6$ usually, but we had Mameow, a repeat customer local. But even for $6, wowowowowowowow. I ate so much food. I may have had a plate of french fries.

Then Dielle and Dion took pictures with the tigers. I didn't personally feel the need to spend money doing that, so I hung back with Mameow and we took pictures and watched from the buffet deck. And of course, I had a mini-adventure of my own when they were done. I was going to get to try something I'd always wanted to try.

...
...


...    




...ZORBING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, some New Zealander guy opened an extreme sports thing next to Tiger Kingdom, so Mameow and I jumped at the opportunity to go Zorbing (Xorbing at this place). And it was only $20! Basically we were strapped into a gigantic plastic ball that rolls down a hill into a lake (Mameow and I in the same one, dL and DIon watched as they had zorbed in NZ before). I was underwhelmed by the hill at first, but it turned out to be really fun. Definitely was a little carsick by the time we rolled into the lake and then were given free range to roll like hamsters around the lake. We got out soon after that because we were so dizzy. Then we biked home. At this point, I actually got to bike in Chiang Mai traffic, which was kind of amazing, but eventually, the complicated turns made it more efficient and safe form Mameow to drive again. That said, Dion drove like a pro through the streets. Super mad props.

We stopped for ice cream at iBerry before stopping in at the CMU Scrabble Club. Mameow bragged about my recent defeat of Nigel at Princess Cup, and then everyone was awestruck (lol). Since Jakkrit wasn't there, I was the de facto best player in their eyes, but the other club "teacher" just about beat me in a close game. He also beat Dielle. The club takes place next to a Tae Kwan Do club and a practicing band, so you get some hybrid of gamelan rock jazz music. Kinda a cool setup.

Then it was off for some more street food. We had tom yum (So yummy), rice, fried rice, curry, basil chicken, and spring rolls for like $6 US. SO GOOD.

So we went back to the new hostel, and tried to figure out our plans for the next day. The intent was to go to an island in southwest Thailand, Koh Phi Phi, but the planning for getting there never really happened, so it was becoming pretty clear that it wasn't going to happen. We eventually settled on flying back to Bangkok the next afternoon and just going from there. For me going to an island wasn't really the most important thing ever, and I was pretty excited at the prospect of spending a couple more days in Bangkok since I'm already somewhat comfortable and know people there.

After finally getting everything figured out, we checked out a club near the hostel even though it was closing, and eventually ended up at Club Spicy near Thapae Gate again. It was definitely an entertaining night, being right next to a (shield your eyes if you don't like rated-R stuff) lesbian hooker versus ladyboy hooker fight, and seeing an old guy make out with another one, ewwww. I try not to judge but ewwww.

We ended up getting home some time after 4.

The next morning was a mad dash to get to the airport. We eventually made it AND found a cafe that was actually normally priced. And then we flew Nok Air back to Bangkok.

That was a day and a half ago, and much has happened since then, but I think I am going to leave off here for now since it seems like a natural starting point.

So it's been an amazing trip so far - everything I could've wanted and more. I hope it keeps up, but I'll just ride this wave while I can.

Peace!

0 comments:

Post a Comment